10 Healthy Cooking Alternatives
When you’re in the kitchen, look around you, what do you see? Do you see more boxes with labels than actual food?
This is the time to start thinking about what YOU can do to make some positive changes for yourself! Here is a list of every day used foods that we can easily modify in order to make them healthier.
Try one ingredient at a time, you don’t want to overwhelm yourself with a lot of change all at once. The next time a recipe asks for butter, just simply try applesauce or banana instead. Or the next time you go to grab the salt off the table, try cooking your vegetables or quinoa/rice in a low-sodium chicken broth.
I assure you it’ll be much more palatable, and your body will thank you later!
Give it a try, see what types of creative substitutions you can come up with! Let me know and I’ll post your recipe!
- Instead of Butter/Margarine: Avocado, applesauce, banana
- Instead of Spaghetti or Pasta: Spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles
- Instead of honey, Syrup, Sugar: Pureed fruit, warm apple slices, cinnamon
- Instead of Sour Cream: Nonfat Greek yogurt
- Instead of Dairy Milk/Heavy Cream: Almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk
- Instead of Mashed Potatoes (Russet): Mashed Cauliflower or Sweet Potatoes
- Instead of Bread Crumbs: Rolled Oats or chopped toasted nuts
- Instead of Table Salt: Himalayan sea salt, low-sodium broth
- Instead of Ground Beef: Ground Turkey or Chicken
- Instead of Bread/Buns: protein style as a lettuce wrap