April 22, 2022. Earth Day. A day where more than a billion people celebrate protecting the planet from things like pollution, overuse, deforestation, and more.
The theme for this year's Earth Day is Invest In Our Planet.
This one day brings awareness to just how much the Earth gives us, but also how much we are taking! Every day should be Earth Day though if we want to see true and sustainable change in human behavior.
We can’t just leave it to one day for doing things such as picking up trash and planting trees. Earth Day has to be every day and better yet, it has to be something we all care about.
Things you can do to celebrate Earth Day 2022:
- Pick up trash.
- Plant a tree, garden, or some flowers.
- Use a reusable water bottle.
- Turn off the lights & fan when leaving the room.
- Eat 1 or 2 fewer meals with meat per week.
- Take in the natural beauty of our planet.
If you want some other ideas, check out these 52 ways to invest in our planet.
Earth Day facts you might not know about:
- Approximately 80% of the world’s wastewater flows back into the ecosystem without being treated or reused.
- Each of the last 4 decades has been increasingly warmer than any decade before it.
- Nearly 90% of a washing machine’s energy goes towards heating the water.
- The weight of annual plastic waste production across the globe is nearly equivalent to that of the entire human population.
So while we celebrate Earth Day today, let’s remember that if we all do small things every day, that can add up to a large impact.
Happy Earth Day! Let’s invest in our planet every day!