Keep Waste Out of Our Waterways AND Help the Planet!
Submitted By Camrie Rounds as part of our I'm With Her Cause Campaign. Read More →
Bottle bricking (ecobricks) is an easy way to use a small amount of your time to make a big impact!
Why Bottle Brick?
Bottle Bricks have been used to build houses, school buildings, and other structures for well over a decade in Latin America and are now catching wind in other parts of the world as a way to combat waste. Bottle bricks use inorganic waste that would otherwise end up in landfills or waterways and turns them into something that can be used to build benches, furniture, and even homes! Even better, the process of bottle bricking brings to the forefront of our minds ways we can make conscious decisions surrounding the products we use and how much waste we produce.
Check out a video about bottle bricking here.
How to bottle brick:
- Get a plastic bottle - liter or water bottle sizes work best.
- Collect your plastic!
- The best plastic for bottle bricks is small, single-use pieces that can easily blow in the wind. (i.e. granola bar wrappers, candy bar wrappers, sandwich bags, chip bags, dental floss, receipts, stickers, etc.)
- Fill up that bottle with plastic, and then fill it more.
- An easy way to do this is to use the back of a wooden spoon to help push the plastic into the bottle.
- You’ll want to keep doing this until there is ABSOLUTELY NO AIR left in the bottle! It should be as hard as a brick, with no give when you push on it.
- That’s it!
Once you have your bottle bricks, you can research local areas in your city to drop them off. You can also mail them to places that take them or build something yourself. Bottle Bricking Ideas - create your own projects and share them with us!
Bottle Bricking in Uganda - see it put to action!
Plastic Bottle Village -Yep! You read that right...an entire village is being built from ecobricks!