IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not post any of this content publicly until Friday, September 1st, AFTER the @onlyhuman account has posted about it
September is National Suicide Awareness month, but we’re in this for longer than a month. On Friday the Stay; campaign will be launching and the shirt will be on the site to order. I wanted to give you all some tips for content and some images you can use.
September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day, and September 10-17th is National Suicide Prevention Week, so if you could all post something that day/week we can make a huge impact. This campaign is so very powerful and has the ability to save lives. I encourage all of you to share your story as you post about this campaign. Millions are impacted each day by suicide, it’s up to us to remain vulnerable with our story to show others it’s ok to talk about it. Here are some facts about suicide.
- There is one death by suicide in the world every 40 seconds.
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death in the world for those aged 15-44 years.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.
- Lesbian, gay, and bisexual kids are 3x more likely than straight kids to attempt suicide at some point in their lives.
- Medically serious attempts at suicide are 4x more likely among LGBTQ youth than other young people.
- 41% of trans adults said they had attempted suicide, in one study. The same study found that 61% of trans people who were victims of physical assault had attempted suicide.
- Lesbian, gay, and bisexual young people who come from families that reject or do not accept them are over 8x more likely to attempt suicide than those whose families accept them.
- Each time an LGBTQ person is a victim of physical or verbal harassment or abuse, they become 2.5x more likely to hurt themselves.
- Most suicidal people give definite warning signals of their suicidal intentions, but others are often unaware of the significance of these warnings or unsure what to do about them.
- People who are depressed and exhibit the following symptoms are at particular risk for suicide:
- Extreme hopelessness
- A lack of interest in activities that were previously pleasurable
- Heightened anxiety and/or panic attacks
- Talk about suicide or a prior history of attempts/acts
- Irritability and agitation
Encourage others to share their story on Only Human:
#OHstay #onlyhuman #suicideawareness #suicideprevention #thepowerofstory
#WSPD17 (world suicide prevention day – sept 10) #NSPW17 (national suicide prevention week – sept 10-17)
IMPORTANT NOTE ON STYLE:
Only Human has a very specific style, and in order to stick to that we ask that you do not use any filter on these images. They’ve all been edited and are in line with the Only Human brand.